Earlier this week azcentral insider Kent Somers reported the Arizona Cardinals had met with linebacker Daryl Washington. The former Pro Bowler’s league suspension was conditionally lifted shortly before the NFL draft last month.
General manager Steve Keim and head coach Bruce Arians said they, along with President Michael Bidwill, would address the Washington situation after the draft was completed.
Thursday morning the Cardinals made it official.
“After meeting with Daryl Washington, we have collectively decided it is best to release Daryl and give him the opportunity to continue his career elsewhere,” the team released in a statement.
Wednesday afternoon Arians spoke about D-Wash and the impending situation moving forward.
“I have mixed emotions,” Arians told Brad Cesmat during a sit down interview promoting an upcoming charity event for the Arians Family Foundation. “I just want what’s best for the Cardinals.”
— Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez) May 10, 2017
Arians confirmed the organization met with the now 30-year-old Washington for the first time..
“Michael will make that final decision after we have the rest of the protocol that he set up for Daryl to go through,” he explained to Cesmat Wednesday. “We’ll see how it goes.”
The Cardinals and Washington can now move forward, albeit in different directions.