Here are some games that should be worth checking out this week (no lecture on ‘potential this week). I have picked five for the Valley and one for Northern AZ, and one for Southern AZ.
Father Benedict J. McCormick, O.F.M. – is probably face down in his grave right now for my poor use of conjunctions and commas (my English teacher at San Luis Rey College).
1. #4 Queen Creek at #17 Campo Verde – This is a must win game for Campo to help keep their goal of making the Playoffs alive. For Queen Creek, the last thing they
want to do is drop in Power Pts.: seeding is everything in the Playoffs.
2. #6 (Div. IV) Buckeye at #19 (Div. III) Desert Edge – I had the opportunity to watch Desert Edge play last week, they lost a game vs. Liberty that they could have won. If they can bounce back from a heartbreaking loss, this is a must game. Even though it is a game crossing Divisional lines, it is a big rivalry game.
3. #5 Arcadia at #2 Saguaro – Saguaro is a beast no question, but Arcadia is a quality program. Can Arcadia rise to this challenge I don’t know, but we always say on any
given night anyone can win and, this is “any Friday night”, so we will get to see by 10 PM-ish.
4. #10 Sunrise Mtn. at #7 Cactus – This is a Playoff caliber game, there is a chance that these two teams will see each other again. So, it becomes an important game for
5. #18 Fairfax at #12 Apollo – Again this is a Playoff caliber game, Fairfax needs this game to even have a chance to reach the Playoffs. Apollo needs this game to help
their own cause in the Playoff seeding.
Northern AZ – #1 Blue Ridge at #2 Show Low – both teams will make the Playoffs, and more than likely these two schools will see each other again. This is a Rivalry Game that rivals any rivalry game in the Valley. Plus, it won’t be 90 degrees at kickoff – I promise.
Southern AZ – #15 Tucson at #10 Sunnyside – two of the most tradition bound programs in Southern, Az. This is a must win game for Tucson, and Sunnyside needs to win to preserve their present seeding.
On Thursday, the Cox Game of the Week is #1 Hamilton at #6 Basha. Now, most weeks I would recommend this one and I still do. Obviously, Basha has stumbled the last two weeks and it has taken some of the luster off of this game. Remember, this is a big game for both programs, obviously this is a rivalry game for Chandler schools. Hamilton deals week in and week out with defending their winning streak, so they will show up ready to go. Basha needs to get back on track, this is a tough week to try and accomplish that goal. It should be a packed house, so if you are planning on attending this game, I would get there early.